Announcements

I've set up a multi-author social blog to be used by my part-time blogger friends who don't want one of their own. Send me a note if you'd like to be able to write on For Consideration

Thursday, August 17, 2006

On the tarmac?

I've been working a lot of hours and haven't had time to stay in touch with the world as much as I'd like or am used to; but when I first heard about this incident with the woman having a "fit" on that flight from London to Dulles, I knew it was an over-reaction. This is a 59-year-old woman, and no one on that flight can tell she's having a panic attack and is not a threat? Sure, terrorists can come in any shape and size, but what did she do that made people think she was a threat? Doesn't there have to be some reasonable presumption of a realistic threat before hundreds of people are inconvenienced? Hell, they weren't just inconvenienced...this person comes undone and everyone else on the plane becomes a suspect.
Even though I'd be very frustrated and probably angry if I'd been on that flight and it was diverted, I'd give them the benefit of being overcautious for our benefit. But if you make me a suspect because of someone else's actions, there'll be hell to pay. You've already searched my person far more than I'd appreciate, searched all my belongings as well, and then you're going to do it again on the tarmac of the airport after you've taken everyone off the plane? I have a very strong suspension that had I been on that flight and had that happen to me, this woman who's at the center of the situation wouldn't have been the only one arrested for throwing a fit that day!

3 comments:

Zebster said...

Very well said, AA. I had heard the initial report that included an al Qaeda note ref and something about vaseline and a screw driver but heard shortly after that it wasn't so. Like I said, I'm not nearly in the loop right now as I want to be and prefaced my comments accordingly.
Thanks for including the vigilance of passengers angle, something I had intended on mentioning before I started nodding off typing.
I commend the passengers also for their obvious tolerance and patience but still don't think I could have or would want to.
I'm still unclear how her actions cause the need to recheck all passengers' luggage.

Ingrid said...

Hey Zeb, how have you been? Missed 'seeing you around' but I am sure that Shelly has the 'complaining rights' on that one! James started to snore so I guess I better head off the computer and check out your site again tomorrow...
good night!
Ingrid

o said...

One does wonder if this hyper-vigilance is a good thing or not. I guess people follow the "better safe than sorry" adage right now. My worry is that after awhile these false alarms are too common and the real stuff sneaks through...