Announcements

I've set up a multi-author social blog to be used by my part-time blogger friends who don't want one of their own. Send me a note if you'd like to be able to write on For Consideration

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Updates and such

As many of you know, I am a huge Pink Floyd fan and am saddened to learn that Pink Floyd co-founder Syd Barrett died yesterday at the age of 60. I include here a snippet to think about "and did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in the cage?" My favorite line from my favorite Pink Floyd song, a song that I feel lyrically is in the top 5 all time. And even though that song was written by mostly Roger Watters with David Gilmore for Syd, it is a metaphor for life like no other and sums up in many ways the life of Barrett. Another great and obvious choice of a song to quote as a tribute would be "Shine on you crazy diamond."
A quote from the band, “Syd was the guiding light of the early band lineup and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire.”

Hao Wu was released, according to his sister. Ethan ZuckermanYou can learn about the release of Hao Wu here. It would be nice to think that those of us who got involved in trying to pressure China to release him had some effect, but we'll never know why he was released.

Do you want to talk about the viability of Danica Patrick having success in Nascar, as it's rumored she will be "heading south" next year? Is she the one to prove that women can succeed at the highest levels of auto racing? I believe a woman can but I'm not sure it's her. Since I'm much more a Nascar fan than other racing series, I'd prefer a woman come to Nascar with a proven record of success. As of yet, that's not Danica.

MSNBC The President of FIFA is quoted as saying that Zinedine Zidane could be stripped of his MVP trophy.“The winner of the award is not decided by FIFA, but by an international commission of journalists,” Blatter said in Wednesday’s La Repubblica. “That said, FIFA’s executive committee has the right, and the duty, to intervene when faced with behavior contrary to the ethic of the sport.” Let's hope they do the right thing here.

MSNBC A suspect in the India train bombings yesterday has ties to al-Qaida. Dawood Ibrahim apparently tops the list of suspects responsible for the bombings that took place along many points of the commuter rail line in Mumbai, formerly Bombay, bombings which killed 183.
We've always known terrorists like to target trains. Have we done nearly enough or as much as can be done in this country to prevent attacks like that here?

1 comment:

LittleCuz said...

I like Pink Floyd too, although I'd consider myself a casual fan, I've got a fair amount of their albums, does that show my age or what. They are actually CDs, but I'm sure you knew that. I tend to like the older stuff. The first Floyd album I'd ever gotten was "The Wall". Dad got it for me for Christmas. I wore that thing out. I think that was an attempt to get me to listen to something other than the Beatles, it worked for awhile.